21.5.07

- ..............COLOR/BRIGHTNESS..............+

So I have a pantone book that gives the hex formula. More importantly it hightlights the most vivid colors for for web(hex formula). Usually when I am choosing colors for a print piece, I take the PANTONE book to the window to view. The natural light reveals the actually color intented. I wonder, now, how much this matters. How many people are going to pull your business card out to call you while they are outside versus inside...with flourecent lighting to boot?! Not many.
Anyway, I almost took the PANTONE color bridge coated™ book over to the window. Silly me. I mean, some of you probably get a little natural light in your work space but I am guessing that for most of you its a least a mix.
The bottom line is that there is no certainty in web colors. Everyones got different monitors, different resolutions settings and different lighting sources.
This really bothers me because I love color and I want to control it to some extent. Even if you don't like my chosen colors, I'd like to know that you don't like the exact colors that I chose. That way we can be sure that you have bad taste ;)

Anyway, I watched Eraserhead by David Lynch this weekend. The DVD guides you through television brightness and contrast corrections before you even get to the menu. I loved this and followed the instructions to a T. It was very much like calibrating your monitor under Mac supervision. Brightness turned all the way down. Max contrast. Bring brightness back up until you can "barely see" the provided image on screen.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

lynch is nuts. AND i thought that was ET for a second.

also, we often discuss the proper way to view a proof - under the light box? or in our office lighting, for the very same argument you had for the hypothetical business card.